Monday, July 09, 2007

Personal Accomplishments

WOW, what a spring. As if JPG Photography couldn't get any busier with seven weddings in seven weeks for me, and another four for Dan in that same time, we've had personal accomplishments and responsibilities to contend with.

As you all know, I work for a daily newspaper in Maryland, The Daily Times. Well, if you're wondering why I've been behind, it's because my newspaper, which is owned by Gannett, (it publishes USA Today) named me USA Today's Maryland Correspondent May 1.

On top of my regular duties, I have to help USA Today reporters with news from Maryland, and I get to write a few stories myself. I've been published twice already, with a story and a picture each time, and I'm working on my third right now. I've also been given the reigns of a political blog for the region, Shore Politics, at www.delmarvaNOW.com.

I also received five writing awards from my state's joint journalism body, including one from the Associated Press for investigative reporting. I had my first picture published in The Washington Post in late June too. It was a shot of Md. Gov. Martin O'Malley with local officials, in full color, and it ran across three or four columns. That's journalism talk for a medium-large size picture. That's a cool feeling!

Dan also earned his share of awards from the Virginia Press Association. He's covering stories with national interest, but with a local feel, and readers are loving them, along with his pictures. And he's doing all of this while living with his in-laws because he and his wife are building a new house in Suffolk, Va.

So, thank you all of your patience with the Blog. It's been an eventful three months.

No comments: