Monday, October 20, 2008

Bride falls in pool ... Should the groom have jumped in after her? & Wedding Tip of the Month

Wedding Tips: Bride falls in pool

... Role with it and have fun!

I laughed so loud when I saw this tonight that I woke Rebecca up. She's in bed, trying to get some Zzzz before her 5:30 a.m. alarm.

I know it's wrong to laugh at this, but I had to call her down the stairs. She hated me, until she saw it, and started laughing, too.



But this got us thinking, what should the groom have done? Jump in, of course. We agreed.

So our conversation went like this:

Rebecca: "I hope that bride was cool about the whole thing."
Joe: "I do, too, but from the looks of that wedding, I picked up a traditional bride vibe. I bet she saw it as the worst moment in her life, instead of the funniest."
Rebecca: "If I fell, you should jump in after me."
Joe: "I know. That would be fun."
Rebecca: "They should have done their vows from down there."
Joe: "Absolutely. But instead of a first kiss, they should ad lib a dunk kiss and play some Marco Polo."

And here comes our tip:

One of my own quotes is this, I'll die happy if I never shoot another cookie-cutter wedding for the rest of my life."

For the record, I'm NOT wishing horrible moments on my brides. On the contrary. But I warn them that something bad may happen, and to role with it when it does.

Here is an example from last month. Elizabeth and Scott, two great people had quite honestly the second worst rain I've had in my four years with JPG Photography. They could have sulked, but they didn't. They went with it. They even took shots in the rain. They were great.

Look at the size of that rain off that umbrella!


As Bride and Groom, your guests and family members take their cues on how to behave from you both. If you are stressed or angry, so are they. Only, during the day of the wedding, there is usually little to nothing they can do. So things get worse because they're trying to fix something, only they're helpless.
So keep cool the day of the wedding. Have fun, and don't let anything (including getting tripped by the best man) get in the way of it.

Best,
Joe G

P.S. A special thanks to my buddy, Ron Solimon, at Litrato Photography, for sending this to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's probably bad matrimonial karma to laugh at this, but i did anyway!

Nate said...

Joe, I don't know which is more hilarious, the bride falling in the pool or the goofy best man busting it and trying to grab the brides leg as she falls...Here's the reeeeal question...Do you run up fast to capture her expression, or catch the faces or the crowd gathering around?